It’s that time of the month! We’re sharing local nonprofit news from new board appointments to exciting summer events. Keep reading for a full download, and as always, we’re accepting information about the latest grant opportunities, changes in leadership, events and the like. You can even submit events directly to our website now.
SOAR365 Summer Series
There are still two more installments as part of this year’s SOAR365 Summer Series, which offers fun, accessible activities for all ages. The events take place from 5:30-7:30 pm at PARK365 located at 3600 Saunders Avenue in Richmond. Both events are free, but registration is required.
- July 20. PARK365 welcomes Sportable, an organization that provides adaptive sports, recreation and wellness opportunities for youth and adults with physical disabilities or visual impairments. Try out a sport wheelchair, play some pickle ball or boccia and learn more about adaptive sports. On hand to show off their skills will be the Sportable Spokes youth wheelchair basketball team as well as other Sportable athletes. The Boardwalk food truck and Chick-fil-A will have hot dogs, burgers and chicken sandwiches for sale.
- August 17. Next up at PARK365 is Beyond Boundaries, a local nonprofit specializing in guiding people with disabilities, veterans and at-risk youth through outdoor adventures. Visit the petting zoo and indulge in Monique’s Crêpes.
For more info and to register, visit here.
New Board Leaders at LMR
Leadership Metro Richmond has announced its new board officers and members for the coming year. Congratulations to:
- Chair – Rasheeda Creighton, LMR Class of 2013, Co-Founder & CEO, The JWC Foundation
- Chair Elect – Tyren Frazier, LMR Class of 2018, Executive Director, Chesterfield Education Foundation
- Secretary – Jen Kostyniuk, LMR Class of 2016, Director of Economic Development, Dominion Energy
- Treasurer – Eileen Yost, LMR Class of 2018, Assistant Vice President – Tax, CarMax
- Bill Bales, LMR Class of 2015, Vice President – Finance, Atlantic Union Bank
- Gabriella Caldwell-Miller, LMR Class of 2013, Division Director – Behavioral Health and Wellness, Hanover County Community Services Board
- Claire Gastañaga, LMR Class of 1996, Founder, ChangeServant; Partner, Dunlap Law PLC
- Melanie Green, LMR Class of 2015, Vice President – Richmond Higher Education Institutions, Bon Secours Richmond Health System
- Pierre Greene, LMR Class of 2019, Assistant Vice President – Wealth Planner, C&F Bank
- Will Melton, LMR Class of 2020, CEO, Xponent21
- Cherry Peters, LMR Class of 2002, Vice President (Retired), Truist Bank
- Hollie Woodruff, LMR Class of 2020, Senior Minister, Seventh Street Christian Church
Coming Soon: A New Park Along the James
A new riverside park that would provide contiguous riverfront access from downtown all the way to Rocketts Landing took one step closer to reality. The Capital Region Land Conservancy (CRLC) and The Conservation Fund recently completed the transfer of 0.85 acres on Dock Street, just below Great Shiplock Park, to the James River Association. The park will be the future home of JRA’s James A. Buzzard River Education Center, designed to be an immersive environmental education facility for youth to access the James year-round for on-the-water programs in canoes, kayaks and a floating classroom. JRA has been working on the plan for almost three years. The current plan calls for the rerouting of the Virginia Capital Trail away from the busy thoroughfare of Dock Street.