There’s more to October than ghosts, ghouls and Halloween candy. Thanks to CultureWorks, “artoberVA” is a month-long celebration of the arts community in the Richmond and Tri-Cities region.
Coinciding with National Arts and Humanities Month, CultureWorks collaborates with local artists and partner organizations to foster community-building, equity and diverse cultural celebration. Scroll down for a list of events, pop-ups, exhibits, performances and more!
CultureWorks started artoberVA in 2016 as an extension of its mission to increase access to free experiences related to arts and culture across disciplines. Each fall, hundreds of events are lined up and promoted to underserved areas, always with the vision of bringing art and culture to all.
Mark Your Calendars
There are several events to attend and participate in during artoberVA, all of which can be found on the Arts & Culture Calendar. The organization features the following spotlight events:
- Artoberfest 2023
- Petersburg’s Appomattox Irons Works, October 7
- Event is free and more information can be found here.
- Second Fridays Takeover with VISARTS
- Visual Arts Center, October 13
- Tickets are $15 and can be purchased here beginning October 9.
- Unhappy Hour Fundraiser
- The Poe Museum, October 19
- Tickets are $15 and can be purchased here.
- An Evening of Storytelling with Virginia Storytelling Alliance and The Writer’s Den
- SPARC Youth Performing Arts School, October 20
- Tickets are $25 and can be purchased here.
In addition to these exciting events, there are also three fundraising opportunities to support CultureWorks and artoberVA. The following community partners will donate 20% of its proceeds, so be sure to mention that you are supporting CultureWorks at point of purchase.
- Scott’s Addition Gelati Celesti: October 2, 3 – 9 p.m.
- Scoop: October 10, noon to 6 p.m.
- Intermission Beer Bingo Night: October 11, 5 – 9 p.m.
To learn more about CultureWorks and its programs, visit its website.